Surface facilities of the Marble Mine Hermsdorf
The GEOMIN operating division Hermsdorf exploits calcitic marble in an underground mine. The deposit is located in the eastern Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains) to the southwest of the village Hermsdorf between the Gimmlitz creek and the road Frauenstein - Rehefeld.
The first documentary mention of marble production dates back to the year 1581.
After century-long mining in up to 5 quarries, the underground activities started in 1880 in the "Fiskalischer Bruch" ("Fiscal Quarry").