Drilling in the marble mine Lengefeld
The mining facilities and processing plant Lengefeld as well as the administrative department of the GEOMIN - Erzgebirgische Kalkwerke GmbH are located in the local centre "Kalkwerk" of the town Lengefeld.
The company is directly located at the B 101 in the section Annaberg-Buchholz and Freiberg, 2.5 km south of the city Lengefeld, administrative district Erzgebirgskreis.
The first documentary mention of the deposit dates back to the year 1529. After century-long mining in the open pits, the underground mining has been started in 1925. Since 1968 the "Neues Lager" ("New Block") has been exploited. Mining of the "Tiefes Lager" ("Deep Block") began in 1998. The "Lößnitz-Lager" ("Lößnitz Block") has been explored in 2006 and is mined since 2010.